Other Worlds Film Festival is thrilled to announce the Texas premiere of the Chinese SciFi drama LAST SUNRISE. This special screening will take place on Wednesday, July 24 (7:30pm) at Galaxy Highland 10 Theatre. Director Wen Ren will be in attendance and will do a Q&A after the film.
** Tickets can be purchased exclusively here.
LAST SUNRISE, which won the Best Film Award at Fantasporto and was featured at Cinequest and Dances with Films, deftly takes on topical and timeless subjects, while spinning a compelling personal story. In the film, a future reliant on solar energy falls into chaos after the sun disappears, forcing a reclusive astronomer and his bubbly neighbor out of the city in search of light in the perpetual darkness.
Inspired by this one-night-only screening, Other Worlds programmer and Transportation Director, Robyn Paxman, takes us on a quick tour of Solar Punk.
Solar Punk is defined by TV Tropes as “a genre of Speculative Fiction that focuses on craftsmanship, community, and technology powered by renewable energy, wrapped up in a coating of Art Nouveau blended with African and Asian aesthetics.”(1) It was created on Tumblr in 2014 as a reaction to the nihilism of CyberPunk. Tumblr user Missolivialouise envisioned it as “a plausible near-future sci-fi genre, which I like to imagine as based on updated Art Nouveau, Victorian, and Edwardian aesthetics, combined with a green and renewable energy movement …. a balance of sustainable energy-powered tech, environmental cities, and wicked cool aesthetics.”(2)
With the current Political and actual climate crises it is hard to see it as a “plausible near-future” thing. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't try. Here are some steps to move us in the right direction:
1) First, your gonna need to make a flower crown. I recommend Sunflowers.
2) Next, you should probably plant a garden.
3) Get involved with your local government you will want to advocate for green energy as much as you can. At your local level, they will be the ones implementing the change in ways that will most affect you.
4) Email your senators. Unless there are laws, and tax incentives in place on a federal level we won't see a major change.
5) Buy a sewing machine and learn to sew. If you want to nail that Art Nouveau, Victorian, and Edwardian aesthetics your probably gonna need to start making your own clothes.
6) Impeach Trump. He's the one who pulled the US out of the Paris agreement.(3) Well, the Kyoto protocol never got ratified under the Obama administration and couldn't go into legal effect without a special coalition. And Bush was completely opposed to the Kyoto Protocol until 2007. And the Senate during the Clinton administration refused to ratify it in 1997.(4) Maybe we need to overthrow the whole government… I mean Solar Punk does have implications of being a post-political revolution with a new government system in place entirely.
7) Overthrow the current Government.
8) Elect Grandmother Willow as our overlord.
9) Take up a craft. Solar Punk has an emphasis on craftmanship like dressmaking, jewelry making, and stone masonry.
Finally, make sure to get your tickets to the Texas premiere of LAST SUNRISE, Wednesday, July 24.